Panna cotta is truly a chameleon and a delicious one at that!
While it’s popularly considered a dessert first and foremost, that’s not always the case but panna cotta’s simplicity is what makes it so versatile.
The basic ingredients of cream, gelatin, sugar and vanilla give recipe creators the world over creative license to experiment with new and delicious flavors – and experiment they have!
We’ve identified tons of both sweet and savory panna cotta options for you to try.
Sweet Panna Cotta Flavors
It’s probably no surprise that most of the common types of panna cotta are of the sweet variety. After all, that’s how this delectable creation came to be in the Piedmont region of Italy. No matter how you want to mix things up, we can guarantee the list below will give you some great ideas.
While it’s not for everyone, there are certain occasions, like holidays or get family get-togethers, when an alcohol-based panna cotta is a perfect choice.
- Champagne Panna Cotta (via Shawna Sever)
- Rum Panna Cotta
A great way to add an extra layer of creamy richness to panna cotta is to include other types of dairy products. Not only will it improve the mouthfeel but will add pungent notes to the dessert.
- Blue Cheese Panna Cotta (Can be savory as well)
- Buttermilk Panna Cotta
- Cream Cheese Panna Cotta
- Goat Cheese Panna Cotta (via Fine Cooking – can be savory as well)
- Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta
By far, fruit is the most common flavor enhancement for panna cotta and since it has such a neutral, light sweetness, almost any fruit will shine.
- Avocado Panna Cotta
- Blackberry Panna Cotta
- Blueberry Panna Cotta (via Art of Palate)
- Cranberry Panna Cotta
- Lychee Panna Cotta
- Raspberry Panna Cotta
- Strawberry Panna Cotta (via Baked by an Introvert)
- Cherry Panna Cotta
- Fig Panna Cotta
- Mango Panna Cotta (via Happy Foods Tube)
- Peach Panna Cotta
- Apple Panna Cotta (via Caroline’s Cooking)
- Pear Panna Cotta
- Blood Orange Panna Cotta
- Grapefruit Panna Cotta
- Key Lime Panna Cotta (via The Beach House Kitchen)
- Lemon Panna Cotta
- Orange Panna Cotta
- Pumpkin Panna Cotta (via Foodness Gracious)
- Orange Panna Cotta
- Banana Panna Cotta
- Coconut Panna Cotta (via The Flavor Bender)
- Passion Fruit Panna Cotta (via Something New for Dinner)
- Pineapple Panna Cotta
- Pomegranate Panna Cotta
Confectionery and Sugar Based
What could be a better idea than combining some of our favorite sweets with the subtle taste of panna cotta? No matter what suits your sweet tooth, there’s an option for you!
- Butterscotch Panna Cotta
- Chocolate Panna Cotta (via Inside The Rustic Kitchen)
- Cookies and Cream Panna Cotta
- Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Dulce De Leche Panna Cotta (via Ricardo Cuisine)
- Honey Panna Cotta
- Maple Panna Cotta (via Chatelaine)
- Milk Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Mocha Panna Cotta
- Nutella Panna Cotta (via Marcellina in Cucina)
- Salted Caramel Panna Cotta (via Manu’s Menu)
- Tiramisu Panna Cotta
- White Chocolate Panna Cotta
Coffee and Tea Based
As if coffee and tea drinkers needed another excuse to indulge in their favorite beverage, then it has to be adding them to panna cotta!
- Cappuccino Panna Cotta
- Chai Panna Cotta (via Sugar Salt Magic)
- Coffee Panna Cotta
- Earl Grey Panna Cotta
- Espresso Panna Cotta (via Lakeside Table)
- Green Tea Panna Cotta
- Matcha Panna Cotta
Herb and Spice Based
Herbs and spices come alive when added to the creamy decadence of panna cotta so it’s not a surprise that they’re some of the most beloved.
- Basil Panna Cotta
- Cardamom Panna Cotta (via Feasting At Home)
- Fennel Panna Cotta
- Lemongrass Panna Cotta
- Mint Panna Cotta (via Leite’s Culinaria)
- Saffron Panna Cotta
- Vanilla Panna Cotta
Earthy, roasted goodness is a natural complement to the light dairy notes that panna cotta offers. While almost any nut works well, we’ve got the big favorites here.
- Almond Panna Cotta (via Italian Food Forever)
- Black Sesame Panna Cotta
- Hazelnut Panna Cotta
- Peanut Butter Panna Cotta
- Pistachio Panna Cotta (via La Cucina Italiana)
Unless they’re the focus of the recipe, veggies can be tricky for including in some desserts but here again, panna cotta shines.
- Beet Panna Cotta
- Sweet Corn Panna Cotta (via Honest Cooking)
- Sweet Potato Panna Cotta
Savory Panna Cotta Flavors
While savory options don’t make up nearly as many options as sweet ones, there are some worth checking out especially if you’ve never tried one.
- Parmesan Panna Cotta (via Manu’s Menu)
Herb and Spice Based
- Horseradish Panna Cotta (via Food Network)
- Cauliflower Panna Cotta (via Acadian Sturgeon)
Hey there, I’m Melody! I’m a lifelong foodie and love talking about it to anyone who’s willing to listen (or read!) about my opinions. My favorite pastimes include cooking, eating my cooking and thinking about what I’m going to make next!