If I told you that I grew up hating cake for my birthday, would you believe me?
Yep, it’s true. For my entire childhood, I refused to eat it. Luckily for me, I had a grandmother who literally made the world’s best homemade pies in any flavor you could imagine.
Wonder if you can guess what mine was?
Now that I’m older, I’ve changed my ways and love cake – probably way too much, especially cheesecake.
But, I digress. Time to take a turn off memory lane and back to the topic of this post – my favorite pie in the world – Strawberry Heart Pie.
Now, before you get too worried, this only looks hard. Trust me, if you use ready made pie crusts, this is a no brainer. Of course, I’d never tell my grandmother I used one!
So not only is it easy but you get the benefit of it looking fancy and impressing your friends and family with your culinary chops.
When it’s all said and done, you’ll have a light, crispy crust while inside a delectable strawberry sweet treat everyone will love. It’s perfect for any occasion because not only is it delicious but it’s also so pretty!
- 4 c diced strawberries
- Frozen pie crust of your choice
- .5 c sugar
- .5 c water
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix strawberries with sugar
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan
- Add corn starch and strawberries
- Bring to a boil, then cook at a medium heat for about 10 minutes
- While cooking, prep the crust by using a heart-shaped cookie cooker
- Remove the filling from heat and allow to cool
- Once cooled, pour filling into pie shell
- Once filled, brush the shell with egg wash and then pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Turn oven down to 375 and allow to bake for another 25 minutes or so
- Remove and if you can control yourself, allow the pie to cool for about 30 minutes or so